Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
No brake lights even after replacing the burnt fuse
Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: December 26, 2018 07:46PM

After realizing that I had not brake lights I was pleased to see it was just a burnt fuse. Then I wasn't so happy when I replaced the fuse and still had no brake lights. Turn signals work fine. No rear parking or brake lights. I'm struggling to determine what the problem is and, for that matter, what actual steps I need to take to find the issue. I welcome your collective wisdom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No brake lights even after replacing the burnt fuse
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 26, 2018 08:15PM

Bad grounds cause all kinds of trouble. What vehicle? Different things to look for on different years. Early models tend to have the socket quit grounding to the housing. That's easily fixed by a small screw. Don't assume that just because the turn signals work you have a good ground.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 26, 2018 08:55PM

ST, with a meter check for 12 volts at the Brake light switch..

One lead will have it.... if one does

then jumper the two together..and you should have B-lights....short filament in bulb.

IF NOT

pull the fuse panel and look at the backside

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 09:50PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 27, 2018 07:27PM

First, get the taillamps to work. These are what come on with parking and head lamps.

You have a late model? Can not remember, and it is not in your signature, nor mentioned in your call for help.

If late model, the ground for the taillamps is the metal part holding the lamp into the plastic socket. These parts get loose, causing lost ground to the lamp. I run a small (#4 x 3/8 or so) sheetmetal screw through the plastic shell into the metal part to hold it in place. Of course the screw can not go in too far, or the lamp will not fit back into the socket.winking smiley

Of course first make sure there is 12 volts on the socket when the lamps should be on, is the license plate light working? It is on the same wire as the taillamps.

Once the taillamps work, then get the turn signals to work, which are the same filaments as the brake lights. Get the turn signals to work WITH the taillamps on, as this proves the grounds are good. So if the turn signals work with the taillamps on but the brake lamps do not, problem is the brake switch or turn signal switch (or wiring of same).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: February 09, 2019 11:59AM

Other car repairs including two new wheel bearing assemblies and brakes for my ’65 coupe and a new catalytic converter for my son’s Toyota MR2 Spyder took away my ability to attack the electrical hiccup with my ’66 convertible until now. I apologize for the delay in replying to the good help offered earlier.

Steps taken: I disconnected the fuse box from the firewall. The paper backing looked original and disintegrated before my eyes, no surprise. I used my GoPro and took the best pictures I could with the available lighting. Not sure exactly what I am looking for, but things look to be connected and clean to my untrained eye.

Reinstalled the fuse box after replacing the paper backing with a new one from Clark’s. Reconnected the battery and tried jumping the brake light wires while they were disconnected from the brake pedal switch. The interior lights dimmed, but I couldn’t tell from my angle whether the brake lights came on. My beautiful wife conveniently came out just after that, so I tried again with her watchful eye. The moment I jumped the brake light wires that time the interior lights went out. No brake lights came on. Interior lights did not turn back on after that experiment. The new fuse still looks good in the fuse box after all this. Turn signals work perfectly, but still no parking lights or brake lights.

An additional piece of information that may be associated with the problem: When the brake and tail lights originally went out I also lost my dash lights. Sorry I failed to mention that before.

I’m in way over my head on this as I have virtually no understanding of anything electrical. What next steps should I take?

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Attachments:

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 09, 2019 01:09PM

I understand electricity pretty well but don't have a lot of experience troubleshooting these circuits. It sounds like you may have a wire that the insulation has been pinched or damage somehow and it able to let the power go to ground, this is a short and will cause the fuse to blow. The first test you did that dimmed the lights was lowering the voltage, the next test was enough to blow the fuse most likely. The short could have also blown the contacts off the brake switch so now it no longer works. It may very well be found by looking everywhere you can for possible damaged wiring, like a missing grommet or pull the tunnel pan and look around, someone may have driven a screw through a wire bundle, I did this a couple months ago and blew a fuse losing dome lights. Bad grounds cause lots of strange stuff but usually don't blow fuses.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: February 09, 2019 06:44PM

From my very feeBle memory since I think you have a LM - stick shift?

Might sacrifice another fuse:

Then put the trans in reverse and see what happens.

It could be that trans switch has shorted out. I had one fail, but I cannot remember exactly which fuse it blew...

Date: February 09, 2019 10:35PM

Back up lamp circuit shares heater fuse, not brake lamp.

Fuse can melt inside ends so it still looks good but has failed. Check fuse with ohmmeter.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: February 10, 2019 07:14AM

No need to sacrifice another fuse. Time to get out your dmm, and check resistance and voltages

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 10, 2019 07:40AM

ST... at this point...since Auto electric is not your forte...

Unplug the main harness connector in the engine compartment unplug your oil pressure switch.

With a wire from your Batt. POSitive post touch each of the pins in the engine harness plug... watch for lights...

Do not worry about hurting anything...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 10, 2019 04:10PM

Never a need to sacrifice a fuse if you have a spare headlamp. Put two wires on headlamp terminals and connect across the blown fuse. If lamp burns bright, short in circuit.

Have you first gotten the running/taillamps to work? Since you say the turn signals work, the brake lamps will work, as there are the same filament, socket terminals, and wires from the turn signal switch to the light bulb. Only the brake lamp switch, brake lamp/dome lamp fuse and wires from that to the turn signal switch should be bad.

Now, if things are not as written in your first post, all bets are off of getting good troubleshooting advice..

When you say “dash lights” went out, what dash lights? Instrument lamps, glove box lamp, or under dash courtesy lamps? Note the under dash courtesy lamps and glove box lamp (and clock) are on the same fuse.

Is this problem on a convertible or a 2 door hardtop sedan with courtesy lamps?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: February 11, 2019 05:36AM

It's unusual to have a short on the brake lamp, but not the turn signal, which implies to me a short in the turn signal switch/steering column.

Remove the turn/brake/tail bulbs from their sockets, and measure the resistance to ground from the stop lamp switch with a good DMM. that should be a B/W wire. if you measure a short to ground, or low resistance, you've found the problem. trying wiggling the steering wheel, and activating the left and right turn signals. If the short comes and goes, there may be an intermittent short in the turn signal switch, or the wiring to the switch.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: February 11, 2019 11:01AM

Yes!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.