Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT.. 2018 Mazda,,, oil change interval
Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 16, 2018 04:31PM

Our 2018 Mazda CX5 indicates 5,000 mile oil change interval using synthetic 0-20 oil. I have always changed at lower mileage, unless most of the driving was on the open road with infrequent stop. Does 5,000 miles seem too long of an interval?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT.. 2018 Mazda,,, oil change interval
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 16, 2018 04:49PM

Not at all especially for a new vehicle that uses full synthetic oil. On Volvos they went to a 10,000 mile interval
which IMO is too far (especially after it hits 100,000 miles). I know some manufacturers (BMW) went to a 15,000 mile
interval. I have heard they no longer suggest that far. I find it refreshing to see only 5000.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: December 16, 2018 05:38PM

My 2014 VW has 10k intervals...

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 05:59PM

I ran my 2007 Mazda 5 Sport 2.3 on Mobil 1 for 10 years from new with 7-8k mile oil & filter change intervals. 196k miles & ran perfectly, until a deer opted to commit suicide & total the vehicle.

bnc

Posted by: ken ()
Date: December 16, 2018 06:19PM

I changed oil on my Corolla every 5000. Castrol oil. It had 440,000 on it when a deer took it out and it didn't use any oil till 400,000 and only then it was using a qt every 5000 . The oil never got black.

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: December 16, 2018 08:51PM

My 2008 Scion xD recommends 0W-20 at 5000 mile intervals.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: December 17, 2018 01:32AM

It's funny how over the pond we do tend to have much longer intervals. Most BMW's over here are 2 years or 20k miles! Modern synthetic oil stays in spec longer, cars are cleaner so the oil stays cleaner for longer and the additives mean they sludge up less than they used to.

My own Mazda MX5 is scheduled annually or 12k miles. These engines never seem to wear out so I can't see why you'd change at less than 5000 miles, you're just wasting money surely?

We still seem to get cars over here with interstellar miles on them, though I think there's more a culture of throwing cars away when they get too expensive to maintain here. It's pretty rare to see a car in daily use more than 10 years old, once the electrics start to pack up they become expensive to fix so people often don't bother and just buy another car.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Posted by: bertle ()
Date: December 17, 2018 05:19AM

My vw caddy van from new was on "long life" oil which meant 2 years or 20K, once it was out of warranty I dropped to std life oil and 1 year or 10k much more sensible in my opinion!

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: December 17, 2018 05:43AM

IMO with modern cars 5000 miles is the new 3000 mile interval meaning I wouldn’t change any more frequently. Many cars have 7-10000 mile intervals. The biggest problem with extended intervals is that people forget to check oil level. It isn’t uncommon for a car to use a pint every 500 miles and it takes more than a quart/thousand for most manufacturers to admit there is an oil consumption problem for warranty.

I lost count of how many customers have come in 2+ quarts low. When we suggest they check the oil more frequently the answer is always the same “ but I’m not due for an oil change”.

A 3000 mile interval was championed by oil manufacturers and oil change places. With modern fuel controls oil dilution from fuel is almost nonexistent. Machining tolerances are tight and oil technology has improved. So run your oil 5000 miles but don’t forget to check it once in a while.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: December 17, 2018 05:46AM

My '13 Mustang GT recommends 10K intervals. I change it every 5K, especially since I added the ProCharger, which also has its own oil supply that has a 5-6K interval. So far, at 91K miles on the engine, it does not leak or use any oil between changes.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2018 05:47AM by Spectre.

Date: December 17, 2018 06:27AM

I with the other guys who change at 5k even though my Subaru recommends 10k with the 0w-20 synthetic.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: December 17, 2018 07:16AM

I go by the recommended millage. Never had a problem. My tundra has over 350,000 miles and uses no oil.

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: December 18, 2018 02:32PM

My 2009 Camry has an indicator for oil changes every 5K miles.

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: December 18, 2018 07:12PM

Buick Regals with the old 3.8 (one regular, one supercharged) I let the on-board computer do the figuring for oil changes. It factors heat and cooling cycles, miles, hours, load and whatever else they though pertinent.
Normal driving with a fair number of highway miles and they both will get to over 9,000 miles before the light comes on, or the percentage-left indicator shows 10% before it's due.
When driven primarily around town, they generally get nearer to 5k to 7k instead.

Both cars are fairly low mileage, at 153k and 166k, but have never had any engine-related issues. And these are 15 year old cars now too, I would expect your '18 model to be pretty dialed in by the manufacturer as far as oil is concerned.
A CX is the SUV, correct?

I generally change at 5k intervals for continuity and ease of remembering when it's due at a glance, but have no qualms at all with using the manufacturer's recommendations.
With a new car they're the ones that have the most to lose by telling you to wait too long to change the oil.

Paul

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 18, 2018 07:14PM

I believe ALL GM built cars / trucks do that since 2005?

Drive until it tells you to change oil. so simple....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 18, 2018 07:28PM

I know Buick LeSabres had that feature in 2000.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: December 18, 2018 07:55PM

streblerm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO with modern cars 5000 miles is the new 3000
> mile interval meaning I wouldn’t change any more
> frequently. Many cars have 7-10000 mile intervals.
> The biggest problem with extended intervals is
> that people forget to check oil level. It isn’t
> uncommon for a car to use a pint every 500 miles
> and it takes more than a quart/thousand for most
> manufacturers to admit there is an oil consumption
> problem for warranty.
>
> I lost count of how many customers have come in 2+
> quarts low. When we suggest they check the oil
> more frequently the answer is always the same “
> but I’m not due for an oil change”.
>
> A 3000 mile interval was championed by oil
> manufacturers and oil change places. With modern
> fuel controls oil dilution from fuel is almost
> nonexistent. Machining tolerances are tight and
> oil technology has improved. So run your oil 5000
> miles but don’t forget to check it once in a
> while.

That's only part of the reason your modern cars can go so far between oil changes and rack up so many miles without engine repairs. The major reason is the transmissions. They all have 6,8,even 10 speed AT's with OD and locking converters and can cruise 70 mph at about 16 hundred rpm, while our Corvairs turn TWICE that fast at 70. Thus, twice the rpm = twice the oil consumption,and half the engine life.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 18, 2018 08:44PM

95, 98 and 05 Park Avenues tell me when to change the oil. The 98 has just turned 237K miles, runs like a dream. An oily dream, though, leaks enough I have to check the oil. I run Penzoil synthetic in all these cars.

I recall working on a mid to late 80s Olds 98 with an oil life monitor.

The 94 Chevy and 96 Buick wagon both with the LT1 tell me when to change oil. Lucky, as there are too many vehicles to keep track of! 94 Chevy has over 250K on it now.

98 Saturn SW2 wagon does not tell me when to change oil. So in the first 75K miles of its life it might have gotten 5 oil changes. eye popping smiley. 205K on it now, uses a little oil but passes emissions fine. Wife delegated it to dump runs when she bought a NEW car. She said every 17 years she deserves a new car!winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 18, 2018 09:07PM

Fuel injection has more to do with engine life than the transmission. I'm not sure the wear is any more with more RPM because the load per revolution is lower. Lots of 4 speed automatics that run a ton of miles.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: December 18, 2018 09:41PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fuel injection has more to do with engine life
> than the transmission. I'm not sure the wear is
> any more with more RPM because the load per
> revolution is lower. Lots of 4 speed automatics
> that run a ton of miles.

Accurate EFI eliminated oil dilution and those 4 speed AT's are OD in fourth gear and have locking converters.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.