Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: garage floor coatings
Posted by: srt ()
Date: December 04, 2018 07:18AM

Need recommendations for garage floor coating. Brand, durability & longevity, ease of application etc.
What do you have? Are you satisfied?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: garage floor coatings
Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: December 04, 2018 07:49AM

I used a tine of 'garage floor paint' once. Wasn't that good. I later opted to use plastic click together tiles, easy to fit and warmer than a cold garage floor.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Posted by: RKF ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:15AM

Use two-part epoxy paint and don't look back. My garage floor epoxy paint is three years old and still looks new. Plus, oil and other liquid spills wipe clean with a rag.

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:27AM

RKF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use two-part epoxy paint and don't look back. My
> garage floor epoxy paint is three years old and
> still looks new. Plus, oil and other liquid
> spills wipe clean with a rag.

How clean must your garage floor be in order for the paint to stick?

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:30AM

What are the reasons for painting concrete? RKF mentioned spills wipe up easier.
It seems like a lot of work to create a future maintenance headache.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:40AM

cepak Wrote:
> RKF Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Use two-part epoxy paint and don't look back.
> My
> > garage floor epoxy paint is three years old and
> > still looks new. Plus, oil and other liquid
> > spills wipe clean with a rag.
>
> How clean must your garage floor be in order for
> the paint to stick?

Most coatings have you acid-etch the concrete to clean it first, then apply the epoxy (best) or paint (doesn;t hold up well in my experience).

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:57AM

In the year 2000, I epoxy coated my garage floor for a clean, easy to maintain surface. It worked well.

Fast forward several years: We had a long (for San Diego) period of rain and the ground was totally saturated. Moisture from the ground under the garage saturated the concrete floor of the garage, but could not evaporate thru the epoxy coating.

Net result, over time the concrete surface just below the epoxy coating decomposed and "bubbled" the epoxy, which then pealed. Leaving partially decomposed concrete surface exposed.

So just be aware that the epoxy coating will not net moisture escape from concrete.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 04, 2018 09:01AM

I had bought floor paint to paint the garage floor in a house I was selling, house sold before I applied it so I had it sitting on the shelf. I painted part of my shop floor. It's been a couple years and it still looks pretty much the same. It's a single stage paint with a primer. All I did was sweep well and paint on the primer then roll on the top coat. It wanted 72 hours before driving on it and I still haven't done the rest of the shop. There was a spot where battery acid was spilled that was discolored but hasn't peeled off yet. Seeing as it's basically free for me I'm happy with it, looks good and is easier to clean than the concrete.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: NebraskaDave ()
Date: December 04, 2018 09:02AM

The previous owner of my house painted the garage floor, and it has started to flake. I wanted something to catch the snow melting off the cars in winter, and spent $100 on a large vinyl mat that has higher edges to catch water, I think a few companies make them. It’s not exactly what you asked about, but it is a good option if you need a containment solution. And I wasn’t about to remove the old paint off the floor just to epoxy coat it.

1963 Monza Convertible
Nebraska

Date: December 04, 2018 09:05AM

good point. did you do the application yourself?

Date: December 04, 2018 09:07AM

did you do the application yourself? drying time?
I've tentatively look at polishing and staining the floor. but i'm not too sure about the cleanup of spills. The epoxy coatings do look real nice and, as you say, they make cleanup real easy.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: December 04, 2018 09:26AM

I applied a Rustoleum Epoxy Shield floor with speckled chips and a clear topcoat in my rental house just before I sold it. It took about twice as much material as they indicated in the instructions but it looked great and I'm sure helped me get full asking price because the buyer was looking for a display garage and not a working garage.

My garage floors at home are for working, not for show. With all the hammering, cutting, grinding, welding, gouging, plasma arc'ing, solvent splashing, epoxy dripping, spray painting, etc., I would just freak out if it was a nice, new expensive coated floor coating I was tearing up. Plain old concrete works for me.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 04, 2018 10:20AM

srt Wrote:
> did you do the application yourself? drying time?
> I've tentatively look at polishing and staining
> the floor. but i'm not too sure about the cleanup
> of spills. The epoxy coatings do look real nice
> and, as you say, they make cleanup real easy.

My Brother in Law has a Concrete Polishing Company, and there is no floor finish that can match it.
Never peels.
Never needs recoating.
Messes wipe right up.
Hard as a rock, OF COURSE ITS CONCRETE!
ALL the benefits of paint and epoxy, without any of the downsides.
If you ever manage to damage it, just re-polish that one area.
Only downside, is COST.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 04, 2018 01:13PM

Dave
My garage floors at home are for working, not for show. With all the hammering, cutting, grinding, welding, gouging, plasma arc'ing, solvent splashing, epoxy dripping, spray painting, etc., I would just freak out if it was a nice, new expensive coated floor coating I was tearing up. Plain old concrete works for me.

I was wondering the same question. Just how well does epoxy hold up to welding slag and sparks, cutting torch and plasma cutter sparks/slag, grinder sparks and dust, spilling acetone/lacquer thinner/paints/other solvents/ DOT 3 brake fluid (well, for newer ABS cars...), battery acid and all those other things that hit the garage floor in my use.eye popping smiley

Of course the simple concrete sealer went away with the first solvent that spilled....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 04, 2018 01:15PM

john.jackson Wrote:
> In the year 2000, I epoxy coated my garage floor
> for a clean, easy to maintain surface. It worked
> well.
>
> Fast forward several years: We had a long (for
> San Diego) period of rain and the ground was
> totally saturated. Moisture from the ground under
> the garage saturated the concrete floor of the
> garage, but could not evaporate thru the epoxy
> coating.
>
> Net result, over time the concrete surface just
> below the epoxy coating decomposed and "bubbled"
> the epoxy, which then pealed. Leaving partially
> decomposed concrete surface exposed.
>
> So just be aware that the epoxy coating will not
> net moisture escape from concrete.

Similar to my experience, although parts of mine started peel immediately because the guy I hired to paint did not wait long enough after the acid wash.

At first, other than that, it was great, but sliding engines across the floor has scratched it off in a lot of places and it is peeling more as ground moisture comes up.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 04, 2018 01:47PM

I am still in the planning process to hopefully build a better, more permanent garage at my house since what I have was intended to be temporary (16 years ago).

The garage is intended to be used to park daily drivers, work on short and long term projects that would include rolling floor jacks, using jack stands, and all the other typical working garage activities. I have considered putting down a vapor barrier, a gravel base, along with some insulation and maybe even some Pex Tubing for an in floor radiant heat set up.

Deciding which one finish would be best overall is difficult at best. I have considered using a sealed broom finish in the two bays the daily drivers will occupy, and a polished finish in the two or three bays that shop work would take place in.

Since I won't be making any firm decision in the next few month's. I'll be watching this discussion and any others that arise to help assist my decision making process.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: December 04, 2018 02:52PM

azdave Wrote:
> I applied a Rustoleum Epoxy Shield floor with
> speckled chips and a clear topcoat in my rental
> house just before I sold it. It took about twice
> as much material as they indicated in the
> instructions but it looked great and I'm sure
> helped me get full asking price because the buyer
> was looking for a display garage and not a working
> garage.
>
> My garage floors at home are for working, not for
> show. With all the hammering, cutting, grinding,
> welding, gouging, plasma arc'ing, solvent
> splashing, epoxy dripping, spray painting, etc., I
> would just freak out if it was a nice, new
> expensive coated floor coating I was tearing up.
> Plain old concrete works for me.

I second this! Epoxy is for a show garage, not a garage where you expect to do a lot of heavy work. I've seen several epoxy floors start failing within 2 years of use and it can still be slick as snot when wet or oily, even with the anti-slip flakes in it. Polished concrete is hard to beat, and a new concrete floor can be tinted other colors if you don't like "cement gray".

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: December 04, 2018 03:12PM

My shop has a grey 'something' coating on the floor. When I park on it for extended periods of time, the tires will pull the coating up (like, parked for the winter).
Also, the front have of the shop has about 1/8" thick layer of Polyurethane on top of the coating, from the PO's cabinet business. The Poly cracks anytime you put a jackstand on it, or drag a floorjack across it. The entire floor - the coated, or poly portion is trashed from dragging engines, transaxles, jackstands, floorjacks, etc across it.

Bare concrete is nice.

Eric P.
DeWItt, iA

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 04, 2018 06:45PM

I had a friend who applied epoxy coatings for service bays in car dealerships. His process involved applying one very heavy epoxy coat followed the next day with a urethane sealer or top coat. I had him first do the floor on my detached garage about 16 years ago and it’s still very good. About 5 years ago I had him do the floor on my newly acquired car hobby shop, about 3000 sq feet. Looks great and makes cleanup very easy. Nothing attack’s it, not even acetone or brake fluid. He never used acid to clean the floor. Instead he used a diamond cutter type of sander followed by very intense vacuum.

The Home Depot and Lowe’s stores use polished concrete surface treatments and it’s probably the best solution but I’m not sure it’s available for small areas. I remember inquiring about it but never got a call back from anyone. Given an option, I would prefer the polished concrete surface. If you weld, you don’t need to worry about damaging the surface.

BTW, the cheaper do-it-yourself floor coatings don’t match up to the professional epoxy coatings. And if your concrete floor didn’t have a vapor barrier laid down before the concrete pour, coatings won’t last.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: cyclemikey ()
Date: December 04, 2018 06:55PM

For what it's worth, here's a bit of floor experience gained from operating production auto repair shops.

In one shop, I was building a new facility, so I took the option of using pre-sealed concrete; that is, the sealer was mixed into the concrete before pouring. That worked out *fairly* well; it was easier to clean and looked better than untreated concrete, but it wasn't completely impervious to oil staining.

In another shop, the building wasn't new but had not been previously used for auto repair or anything messy, so we acid-etched, primed, and epoxy painted the floors. That also worked out reasonably well, but of course over the years of commercial use it flaked and chipped pretty badly in heavy-use areas.

For my 'retirement shop' here in Oregon, I just laid down SwissTrax tiles. It's worked out pretty well, and it's nicer to work on than is concrete, although 3500 sqft of tiles gets a wee bit pricey. I haven't had much damage to it, but of course this is a lot gentler use than my commercial shops were. The only disadvantages are that if you really make a big mess it can potentially seep between the tiles, necessitating pulling some tiles to clean it up. Also, the little traction nibs on the tiles can be frustrating when you're trying to roll something heavy or drag a motorcycle around on the center stand.

Polished concrete is an intriguing idea, but a slick polished surface is kinda the last thing I want in a working shop where I'm carrying, rolling, or moving heavy things around.

Mikey
on the mighty Millicoma in
Coos Bay, Oregon

'64 Monza coupe
waaay too much other stuff to list

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.