Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
My thoughts on what makes a Corvair Yenko Stinger a Stinger…
Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: December 03, 2018 08:47AM

On the surface …

"A Yenko Stinger is a 65-69 Corvair 2 door, either documented by paperwork as being processed through Yenko Chevrolet to be converted to an SCCA approved racecar, or any 65-69 Corvair with a documented YS tag as assigned or sold to participate in SCCA racing as a Yenko Stinger in D Production."

But there is always more to the story….

Let us not forget in the eyes of SCCA up until the early 80's, if you were going to race a Corvair in D-Production, it had to have a YS tag. They didn't care where that tag came from, how many bodies removed from where it started from it was. It just had to have a YS tag to race it as a Yenko Stinger.

I wonder how many “fake” tags were used just to race in the class as I doubt your average SCCA inspector would be able to spot and “good” replica vs a correct YS tag.

As stated before, there are many "variations" of what is a Stinger as well as many levels of how "original" a Stinger is and they all affect price and collectability.

Obviously "most" people immediately just jump to the "core" Stinger, which is original COPO tagged car with original unmolested body/VIN assigned to the Yenko applied tag with all matching paperwork.

However, these cars are the minority as most have been raced and modified and a few of the original COPO car bodies have been lost or re-bodied.

I am not a Stinger owner, not a certified Stinger Historian, nor do I think my opinion is the end all answer... it is just my opinion.

If I wanted a Yenko Stinger (or wanted to classify a Stinger) , my order of preference. (and my option on value modifier)

Original YS 001 - YS 105 Tag tied to documented original 1966 COPO body or original car converted and documented through Yenko Chevrolet with YS tag ...
Original YS 107 - YS 120 tag tied to documented original 1967 COPO body or original car converted and documented through Yenko Chevrolet with YS tag...
Original YS 001 - YS 105 tag tied to documented 65-69 re-body...
Original YS 107-YS 120 tag tied to documented 65-69 re-body...
Original YS 121 – YS 325 Yenko Stinger SCCA approved YS Stinger with history/log books/race provenance as distributed or converted by Don Yenko through Yenko Chevrolet or direct purchase as a Yenko Stinger...
Any previously unused YS tag tied to any body with some traceable history...

I would also use the above criteria to help me define whether or not a car is a Yenko Stinger or not a Yenko Stinger.
Sadly, do to some instances of “less than perfect” record keeping and the span of time, there are ambiguities in VIN vs YS tags, cars without tags, duplicate tags, and original bodies separated from YS tags that are on other bodies.

I will reiterate once again…. I am not a Stinger owner, not a certified Stinger Historian, nor do I think my opinion is the end all answer... it is just my opinion.

However, I will go on to say that I have owned Corvairs since I was 18. I have owned 13 different Corvairs in the last 30 years. I have been a CORSA member and active in multiple local clubs for the same timeframe. I spent decades active in virtualvairs and Fastvairs lists and continue to learn and spend time on numerous Facebook groups as well as other “Corvair” Forums.

I own and have read EVERY Corvair publication from CORSA’s preliminary newsletter to current month Communique, every Corsa Quarterly, every Corvair book published to my knowledge. I own multiple books on Yenko Sportscars, both specifically Corvair and other Yenko products (even Charlie Doerge’s awesome book).

Although I have not had the chance to own a YS tagged car, I have driven several and inspected dozens over the years. I am not trying to disparage anyone’s Stinger, I am simply trying to create a historical record.

If I have any errors in my information, I would appreciate the help in setting the record straight.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 08:48AM by ral1963.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My thoughts on what makes a Corvair Yenko Stinger a Stinger…
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 03, 2018 11:02AM

As a "Buyer"....

I would only put out STINGER PRICES for "survivor"

COPO correct VINS BUILT AND SOLD by Yenko....

All others would be priced on the Car as it stands...plus provenance.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.