Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Irv Gordon passes
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 02, 2018 04:57PM

I am sure many of us know Irv Gordon passed away recently. Irv holds the record for driving his Volvo P1800 over 3,000,000 miles. What many people do not know is he traded in a Corvair to buy his Volvo back in 1967. I met him 3 different times. First was at the LA Auto Show in 1990. The second time was at the Volvo Club Convention in Flagstaff in 2002. And the last time was (of all places) at the banquet of the Corvair Convention in Sturbridge. He was there along with his long time friend Richard L. (writer for Car + Driver)??? He was 77 at the time of his passing and resided up in New England but drove his car to at least 3 different countries, all 50 states in America, and made it to many many waffle restaurants. Our condolences to all his friends and family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 10:17PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Irv Gordon
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: December 02, 2018 07:38PM

That name caught my eye on the forum list. I've read many articles about Irv and the Volvo over the years. IIRC, Volvo started sponsoring his efforts after he reached 1/2 million miles or so commuting 200? miles a day to his job. But every time I read something about him and his car, I just couldn't imagine spending that much of my life in the same car - any car! May he rest in peace.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Re: Irv Gordon
Date: December 02, 2018 08:11PM

Timothy:
Richard L. = Could that be Richard Langworth?

Richard was the Founder of CORSA. He placed the ad in Car & Driver magazine that got the club in motion...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Re: Irv Gordon passes
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 03, 2018 08:55AM

That's a mighty impressive run. Doing a little math it looks like he spent 6 years, 9 months sitting behind that wheel plus another year behind another that Volvo gave him, 450,000 on that one. That's almost 35 years of driving 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I think his record is safe.
[www.google.com]

Quite a feat Irv, RIP.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:38PM

Yeah you guys are good with math and I sure agree it is insane spending THAT MUCH time in an automobile.
The name I could not remember was brought to my attention from Mark Corbin who knows this gentleman personally.
The name I could not think of is Richard Lentinello who writes for Hemmings Classic Car. At the banquet as the
guest speaker he introduced his friend "Irv Gordon".

Posted by: rhysaccess ()
Date: December 05, 2018 03:52AM

Howdy all,

The passing of Irv - has been very sad indeed.

Irv was a close friend, and he actually attended the Sturbridge event with my youngest son and I. It was just (yet) another example of generosity - typical of the guy.

He had owned two Corvair turbo convertibles from new. Both unreliable and the source of conflict between him and GM. He took every opportunity to stick it to GM when his high mileage exploits became publicised.

A real car guy, he owned magnificent Packard, special model T, Crossley & others.

He was my US forwarding service for all the Corvair stuff I bought on ebay, and sent it to me in Australia. He stored a couple of Corvairs I bought on his driveway, and was always generous with his praise about my cars.

As substantial an achievement he had with the Volvo - it was a small part of a larger-than-life guy.

And a funny bastard too.

Regards,
Rhys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.