Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
removing/installing dipstick tube
Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: December 01, 2018 04:24PM

After my mag fan decided it was no longer for this world, I am left cleaning up bits and replacing mangled parts. The dipstick tube is one of those parts.

I used a MAPP gas torch to heat the block around the chunk that is left, but it didnt seem to be budging. more heat is one idea, but can I remove the oil pan (I don't want to, but...) and tap it from below to help it on it's journey out?

Then installation, heat block with torch and make sure it goes in straight and all the way to the stop on the tube correct?

PS- I did search, and it gave me some answers, but not everything I (feel like) I need before I tackle this one.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing/installing dipstick tube
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 01, 2018 04:38PM

Yes you can tap from bottom is it's fairly loose..

Trick is to insert tod that barely fits.... Grab tube with ViceGrips and tap out..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: December 01, 2018 04:39PM

My ol mechanic Arthur was lead mechanic at the largest Chevy dealer in WNC. One day he handed me a special tool he had made to pull the oil dipstick in the earlier corvairs. He told me it took way to long to replace the dipstick by the book. I have this tool somewhere downstairs but by memory, it is a shaft of some type and I think there is an easy out welded to the end and he told me it would jerk the dipstick out is seconds. If I have time will see if I can find it and take a photo with a better description.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 01, 2018 04:45PM

The dipstick tube is easy! Pull the pan then get a 3/8 extension that has a flat area in the bottom of the square then use the square end on the tube and tap on the extension. NO heat needed at all! There is only a small area that is a light press fit.

Going back in is the same thing use the extension to tap the tube in. Make sure that you place the vent hole towards the center of the engine. Tap on the extension until you feel it seat. It will not take Dave's BIG hammer! A light tap is all you need.

I have had the tubes leak so I do use a film of the ever unpopular RTV just below the bead of the dipstick. Make sure you have the correct tube for the dipstick you have, Late models have the upper bead on the tubes.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 04:47PM by vairmech.

Date: December 01, 2018 05:07PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

The removal is being a pain because it is broken off at the lower bead/stop. I got a good grab on it with extended needle nose pliers but dont feel it moving.

The good news is this doesn't sound too bad to do from below. Also I found that the current dipstick tube was not installed all the way. That likely explains when it was happiest when the dips stick said add oil. I was probably running around at least a quart over!

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: December 01, 2018 05:15PM

Don't pull the pan! Use the rod method Matt outline. That's also the way you remove the short tubes at the carb. bases when you put the heads on backwards. I have a hardened dowel pin ground to the snug fit nessasary that fits my slide hammer. Pop Pop, out they come.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: December 01, 2018 05:55PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't pull the pan! Use the rod method Matt
> outline. That's also the way you remove the short
> tubes at the carb. bases when you put the heads on
> backwards. I have a hardened dowel pin ground to
> the snug fit nessasary that fits my slide hammer.
> Pop Pop, out they come.

Only problem is the dipstick has broken down between the cylinders, just even with the baffles below. I don't have a way to get a solid grab on it and then swing at the pliers with a hammer.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 01, 2018 07:13PM

I would try the EZ out or tap method at that point, then attach the vise grips to that.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: December 01, 2018 07:17PM

Also... look down from above and see if the Bubleridge is still there or broken off..

if OFF... pull from the bottom.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 01, 2018 07:49PM

I have some vise grips with a nut welded to the end of the adjusting screw that my slide hammer screws into. Would that work?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 01, 2018 08:06PM

Or you can buy a pre-made one.winking smiley

[www.google.com]

One came with a cheap slide hammer from Harbor Freight years ago. It is the most useful adapter I have seen.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: December 02, 2018 06:52AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have some vise grips with a nut welded to the
> end of the adjusting screw that my slide hammer
> screws into. Would that work?

This is what i will be trying today. going to make a slidehammer out of my old set of needle nose pliers. If that doesn't pull it I will pull the pan and push it up.

I have to keep reminding myself to drain the oil so it doesn't puke when the dipstick finally comes out.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: December 02, 2018 07:48AM

I just now found the "special puller tool for the dipstick" but see you have already decided on a fix...good. That way I don't have to photograph it this am and describe the two different ends as my girlfriend just called and headed to her place.This tool would pull it out even if broke way down inside and hard to reach.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 02, 2018 09:37AM

A 5/16" bolt that just has threads with no unthreaded shoulder makes a good driver as it just fits inside the tube. The shoulder part is just a little to big and will be hard to pull the bolt out of the tube.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: December 02, 2018 09:46AM

SUCCESS!!

A trip to the local hardware store revealed I was not able to build what I had planned.

As I drained the oil in preparation to drop the pan and push it up from below, I decided to give it one last try with the long needle nose pliers and heat. MAPP torch on the block, grabbed the bubble ridge and gave it a good straight yank and by golly it popped out.

I probably gave it a bit more heat this time, and yanked it like I meant it because I didn't want to pull the currently leak free pan, so it worked.

The new one drove in nice and straight as well. did it while the block still had some warmth to it, with just a bit of sealant on the bubble ridge. Makes me happy to know this little piece is done right on the car now.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle

Date: December 02, 2018 10:44AM

Great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.