Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
64 leafsping
Posted by: putput ()
Date: November 29, 2018 08:04PM

will the leafsping fit a rampside 63

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64 leafsping
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 29, 2018 08:35PM

Sorry.. too narrow

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 29, 2018 09:24PM

Has anyone figured out a good leaf that can be made to fit an FC?

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 29, 2018 09:42PM

You could probably have one made by a spring company, however, you will need to supply them with all the proper dimensions. The 1964 FC differential has the mounting bosses just like the car differential. How you will attach it to the lower control arms, is going to need some fabrication work probably.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: November 29, 2018 09:44PM

Have one made! or make it yourself...see U-tube

[www.youtube.com]

Remember... you'd want a '64 Diff case..but a '65 has bolts to hold a bracket...just no Speedo drive.

On cars.. Coils are 40% SOFTER and the leaf takes the rest of the load.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 10:28AM by MattNall.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 30, 2018 05:49AM

How about a Corvette spring? Use the long one and remove as many of the others as you want to for as much lift as you want.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: November 30, 2018 05:59AM

I would guess a Corvette spring is too short also. I'll have to check.

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: November 30, 2018 06:13AM

Fabricate a Z-Bar.
Another critical component when adding this spring arrangement, to a greater degree given the FC's higher CG, would be a fairly stout front stabilizer bar.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 30, 2018 06:20AM

I have to ask why are you considering the rear leaf spring on an FC? That will more focus the answers in the direction you want to go.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: November 30, 2018 06:39AM

Don't know about the OP but I would do it for better handling.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 30, 2018 07:28AM

For better handling add a front lower spoiler. And make sure your suspension parts
and alignment are all in good order.

Date: November 30, 2018 09:27AM

And low profile tires, a large front sway bar as Jerry mentioned and faster steering and...

Date: November 30, 2018 10:45AM

FC's are 4 turns factory... just add a smaller steering wheel.

Date: November 30, 2018 11:33AM

That's still pretty slow. Shorter steering arms would help clearance with wide 16" wheels also.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 30, 2018 12:20PM

The 1965 FC differential looks like the Late models, but it "Has" the Early speedometer drive on the side of the case and Early internals, just like other Fc's.

I have not seen any examples of a transverse spring mounted on the rear of a Corvair FC. But there were aftermarket stabilizer bar kits available. It my be easier to find one of these or make up one like I saw here on at least one post.

n general, I also feel that I can only expect so much handling from a brick. So Like Timothy said... Add a front air dam and tighten up mounts, bushings and correct the alignment. My Brier has performed quite well for more then the 300,000 miles I have personally driven it.

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: November 30, 2018 12:25PM

300K miles??? that's a long distance "procession" hot smiley

Why would you only consider one end of a vehicle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2018 12:26PM by MattNall.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: November 30, 2018 12:45PM

Rear control arms from a '64 will fit FCs.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 30, 2018 01:08PM

As other said - the FC front suspension is more critical. While adding a 64 car style leaf in back would limit axle jacking - you are still going to end up with the rear inside wheel in the air on a tight curve if the front suspension does not have a "heafty" sway bar.

Take a look at some of the autoX pic. FC front end is down low and rear is sky high.

The FC's were designed to ride well, and compared to the other FC vehicles back then they do ride well. If you want better handling, you'll have to install shorter and stiffer front springs add a big front sway bar and lower the rear as well.

Date: November 30, 2018 03:33PM

I agree on the stiffer springs and big sway bar but the rear needs to be addressed also as Matt said.
Are you sure about that Chet? I've just assumed they were different on the FCs but never actually compared them. That would be nice to use stock components for everything but the leaf. No problem to punch holes in a leaf to work with the stock mounts.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: November 30, 2018 05:28PM

I’m not sure where this going but I think it’s trying to improve handling. I’m no suspension expert, or for that matter any other kind, but I can tell you what my 64 GB has. I have both front and rear sway bars. I have a front spoiler which about 5” high. I have 17” wheels with Bridgestone 205-45ZR17 tires which end up close to stock outside diameter. It corners very flat, no sway, no pitch and roll.

Standard steering gearbox on FC’s are 5.5 turns but I believe the steering geometry on FC’s only allows 4.1 turns. I just installed the EPAS (electric power steering) on it and steering in parking lots just became fun. It’s adjustable too so I can dial in as much or as little assist as I need. Sometimes we have 9 people in the GB and steering was a strain with the extra weight.

I would think before trying to modify the suspension with adding a rear leaf spring, it might be better to inspect all your current bushings, shocks, ball joints and steering linkage first, repair as needed. But maybe you’re trying to use it in a more aggressive manner, not sure.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.