Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1966, 67, & 69 COPO Stingers and 65-69 YS Tag Kit Stinger Production Info.
Posted by: Randy m ()
Date: December 03, 2018 07:30PM

I like mine with lots of butter

Randy M

YS 315

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: December 04, 2018 02:31AM

All I was doing was trying to extend an olive branch, but I bet nobody will accept it.

The problem boils down to the fact that its definition was compromised, and by none other than Yenko himself. Since he originated the nameplate, only he would have the power to define it, and that ship has sailed. We are stuck with trying to figure out what he would have made of its definition. My proposal is just a possible way of making sense of the mess he himself created but didn't solve.

Just an idea that may or may not have merit, and something for everyone to think over. As I pointed out, this kind of problem is widespread. No references to airvairs or any other situation need be made.

-Mark

Date: December 04, 2018 02:43AM

Oh, and by the way, just to add fuel to the purists' fire, I would like to see somebody reproduce the Yenko body tag as a souvenir, available with any number desired. But it would be stamped on the top and bottom edge "reproduction" just to satisfy the purists (or at least TRY to). Hummmm, I'm a diemaker, and that stamp wouldn't be that hard to make..... grinning smiley

-Markangry smiley HEhehe

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: December 04, 2018 05:03AM

Mike Stillwell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do Trolls eat Popcorn, Chris?
>
> Mike
> YS-117

They do !!!

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: yenkomark ()
Date: December 04, 2018 07:49AM

Lots of room up here in the bleachers!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:43AM

It's not a problem until people entering the conversation define it as such. Rick is doing a good thing here.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Extending an olive branch hot smiley
Date: December 04, 2018 03:18AM

Seems I may have started a "food fight" about what constitutes a Yenko Stinger. But then, as I pointed out, there may not be a single solution to the mess Don Yenko left us with. It's a problem that, in similar fashion, is rampant in the old car hobby. You have the purists, the "as-built" people, the tribute cars, add infinitum. And all of them feel they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I simply offered a possible way of defining what a Yenko is by determining the level of the car's closeness to its original state, or at least the original state of the majority of the first hundred or so would have been, then go from there. Maybe a rebodied car with a history of racing from day one might be placed one step below an original car. Things like that might create a list of levels, instead of the present blurred line in the sand.

Just something to think about.

Now release the lions!!!

-Markeye popping smiley

Re: Extending an olive branch hot smiley
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 04, 2018 06:30AM

Read my lips, no new Yenko's!grinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: December 04, 2018 06:57PM

Several have suggested that I contribute to this discussion...I will put my thoughts together in a few days.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 04, 2018 07:12PM

It'll be forgotten by then!!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 04, 2018 07:33PM

Probably !

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 04, 2018 07:47PM

MattNall Wrote:

It'll be forgotten by then!!! gg

Oh no it won't!
It is so fun watching the Yenko elitist coming unglued with the very thought of their poor YS cars being defiled by the release of REAL Yenko Tags, that I will personally bump this thread every day just to keep it in the fornt of everybody's mind!
grinning smiley hot smiley grinning smiley hot smiley grinning smiley hot smiley grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:09PM

Please copy and paste the quote where anyone said they were against the release of tags. No one said that. I don’t care one way or another. I spoke to the gentleman who has the tags a couple months ago and he said that he can’t/won’t sell them. Mark was sitting 20 feet away. Again, no big deal. Whatever belief consumes you, that I care about the dollars is dead wrong. I collect them for the history and my personal satisfaction. I put 117 together with a dear friend of mine, Rick Stansbury. Rick and I were partners in Corvaur Motorsports and was one of 5 non-family members at my wedding. Rick passed away at a young age in 2006. I plan on keeping it another 30-40 years, at which point I’m taking a dirt nap or moving into Shady Pines.

Mike
YS-117

Date: December 04, 2018 08:21PM

Rick got sunburned all to hell at David Clemens house the weekend we stripped it down to bare metal. He always shaved his head, so the poor guy was red all over! Much beer was consumed that day. I think that much work in one day would kill me now, 16 years later. We had a club meeting a few days later, so after we primed and sealed it (it’s in “Rick Norris” gray in all the 2002 VIR Racers Reunion Pix), we set the broken windshield back in it and duct taped it in place to drive it the 3 miles down Williamson Rd, American Graffiti style. Good times.

Mike
YS-117

Re: Extending an olive branch hot smiley
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:32PM

junkman Wrote:
Read my lips, no new Yenko's!grinning smiley

This was the latest one. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Well Mike, that is a touching story. I really got to respect that.
I think that is something to remember for sure.
History and personal satisfaction is what keeps me involved with my own tired ole Corvairs also.
Maybe we have more in common than we have differences. IDK
Anyway, out of respect for your memories of Rick Stansbury and your Yenko building memories, I will try to refrain from any further input into this discussion.

Though I just want to add one little parting thought.
Just for the sake of opening the field of "racing oportunities", and NOT investment speculation, I wish that those tags could be released as a known "Continuation Series" similar to Shebly's re-release of the Cobra.
Okay, I am outa here.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Date: December 04, 2018 08:44PM

The big push that summer, was to get to VIR for the Racers Reunion. Rick’s teal ‘65 Corsa #5 was in great shape and ready to go. David was building the “ Flexi-Flyer” as it was called that later became YS-101 with Bob D. I was putting 117 together as a dual purpose Street/Track car. It turned out to be a street car with too much motor, but really not a track car. Still lots of fun, even though there are still things I need to change, like the solid motor mounts.
We all made it to the Racers Reunion. Our 4th amigo Bill Wash brought a pretty solid ‘66 Corsa as well. At the time, we really thought this was going to be the biggest and last time that so many racing Corvairs got together. I’m happy we were wrong, but it was still a great event. Seth Emerson was there, oh wait, he’s always there! Lots of other familiar faces. I was humbled to be on track with some of the Corvair greats. Dan Gianotti almost got arrested trying to get his clutch un-stuck in the Sears parking lot. Had a great dinner with Chuck Armer, Bill Elliott and a bunch of other Georgia boys the night before the time trials. Remember Brian O’Neill;”It’s not a race!”? LOL. We all lost 20 lbs in sweat at the track the next day. I was jealous of Bruce Schug and his yellow ‘67. It had AC! I did ok. One good spin - Sorry Chuck Sadek - thanks for not bopping me off the track. I did have a lifter disintegrate before the timed laps. Chuck saved me again and supplied a spare lifter. It really tore up the engine as I later found it sent metal particles all over the motor and scored the crank. Rick S helped me rebuild it and it’s still in the car. Regardless, it finished the day and we retreated back to the hotel parking lot for Warren’s famous Tweety awards.
That was one crazy summer and I miss a lot of those folks. Sitting behind the wheel of that car takes me back, for a few minutes.

Mike
YS-117

Date: December 04, 2018 08:45PM

Thanks Mel - have a good night.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: December 05, 2018 08:38PM

Mike— do you still live in Roanoke? Great town! Spent my first 30 years there— parents are still there—-

Cruised down Williamson Rd many times!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Date: December 06, 2018 03:18AM

Now that you mention it, Mike, I've always thought it would be real trick to have a '67 Yenko Stinger and put air conditioning in it. grinning smiley I would have to relocate the condenser core to the trunk, though.

-Mark (prez of the Air'Vair Group for air conditioned Corvairs)

Date: December 06, 2018 09:45AM

Hey Jim - I’ve lived about 45 minutes north of Roanoke (Lexington/Buena Vista) since I escaped DC, 20 years ago. I spent most weekends that spring and summer at the Clemens house, a few blocks off Williamson, by Hershberger Rd. One of the club members had a shop just past Berglund Chevrolet. Almost made me miss urban living. Lots of good people in Roanoke. Good car scene and some pretty talented craftsmen.
Mark - if anyone could do it - I’d put my money on you. Did the ‘69 that Shawn Fox bought and now John Gray owns, have AC? Shawn bought a Yenko decklid from me for that car.

Mike
YS-117

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.