Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
I get to paint my WHOLE car. sad smiley
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: November 28, 2018 07:42AM

Something I don't have time for. It will get done, eventually. The problem? When I ordered paint from Napa to originally paint the car, the new guy at the time working messed the color up, it's not the color it's supposed to be. I liked it, so I went with it. After painting I brought the fuel door in for them to try and match the color using the color gun/camera. They can't. They tried tinting to no avail. So now I have to paint the whole car, jambs and everything. I have a few color choices in mind. It happened in my driveway by someone I know. sad smiley

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I get to paint my WHOLE car. sad smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 28, 2018 07:54AM

Bummer! I really liked the color as well!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 28, 2018 08:16AM

Ronnie I think you are quitting too soon. Most body shops have a computerized/spectrographic analyzer that can match almost any
paint color. Try either a paint supply store or a large body
shop in your area.

Sorry too but I can't help asking why the insurance company
isn't helping you find a body shop to fix the boo boo. That
body shop would match the color as part of the job or paint
enough of the quarter panel to blend it.

NOTE: If you choose not to answer my question it will not
bother me. ggg

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: November 28, 2018 08:44AM

Bummer Buddy, bet I know who it was. eye rolling smiley

Really am sorry to hear the news, but have a feeling it will come out even better the second time around. Good luck with it.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: November 28, 2018 08:48AM

Steve, I have tried another paint shop. No luck. There is no code for this color as it was a screw up while mixing the color I wanted. No-one knows what he did wrong. Color cameras have been used. The closest match was the color it was supposed to be. lol In simple terms, it's a one off custom color. I had one place say they 'may' be able to get something close, it would cost me a bit as they would need to time and paint to play with the color. I have some other areas I want to address, this will be the time to do it. I'll be doing the repairs and painting myself.

Matt, so do I.

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Date: November 28, 2018 08:49AM

TIBCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bummer Buddy, bet I know who it was. eye rolling smiley
>
> Really am sorry to hear the news, but have a
> feeling it will come out even better the second
> time around. Good luck with it.

Ha ha!!! I was helping a guy I know out, as he was backing out of my driveway, he backed into it.

Thank you!

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 28, 2018 09:12AM

Steve - I also tried to get paint matched with the "scanner" system and it didn't go well. The paint shop I dealt with said they were disappointed in the accuracy of the system and finally gave up on it.

I've had great luck using paint mixed to original paint codes. The newer computer mix machines are accurate. I've ordered two different colors (one 65 Chevy Evening Orchid, and one a newer Hyundai color) more than a year apart from two different suppliers and the paints match exactly.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: November 28, 2018 09:45AM

My paint shop puts the different tints by measurement on every paint I buy, even if its just a quart....but I have read that gun pressure, atmosphere, temp, etc also control the color of the paint. Even if it was an exact match, you would have to match every thing you did on the paint job you have now...pretty impossible.The different tints look like they are computer generated on my paint cans.

On the other hand, my 64 409 Impala running buddy just had his quarter panel re-sprayed...the body shop matched it perfectly...or made it look perfect.His car came from a Museum years ago so the paint was not new the shop matched.

I agree, that color is very nice. When my friend painted my 68 Corvette, the first thing he did was mix all the paints together (as I had ordered over a gallon) to make sure the same color was in every can. The car was painted under pine trees at his house close to SC, I am in NC.It has taken trophies just because of the super slick paint job.

I would make sure that this next paint job, that you have enough paint left over to ensure a fix if there is a problem. Paint is expensive, but needing to paint a whole car is more expensive than a quarter panel paint job.

Butch, that painted my Vette, had painted his 40 ford conv...7 different House of Color blues...he had owned a huge body shop on Long Island and it had its own paint shop. One shop was 60 bay, the other 48 bay.

One trick he taught me was to put masking tape on the crack on the lid... I have paint in quart cans 1/4 full that is still like new that is about 8-10 years old...just to pass this on to others.

Attachments:
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 28, 2018 01:00PM

That is a nice '40 Ford Deluxe, I like it.

I have said this before, I once saw a Corvair that had been painted and unfortunately the air hose touched the front fender on the last pass.

Instead of trying to fix it wet, the decision was made to wait until the next day and re-spray the fender.

Using paint from the same batch, same can, same painter, in the same location still resulted in a difference of color once dry.

My guess is the differences in temperature, humidity, accuracy (or guessing of) proportions, distance from the vehicle and any other variance possible at the moment resulted in the mismatch.

Getting a proper match and subsequent blend to an existing color takes skill, experience, and some luck.
Finding someone with the skills and experience to accomplish such a task can be all but impossible.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: November 28, 2018 01:13PM

Bummer. Seeing stuff like that makes me cringe! sad smiley
Who's the guy hiding under the car with the paint roller?
winking smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 28, 2018 01:52PM

That's the guy who hit the car!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 28, 2018 01:55PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> That's the guy who hit the car!grinning smiley

Frank,
We think to much alike, I was going to post the same thing.confused smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: November 28, 2018 02:47PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> That's the guy who hit the car!grinning smiley

Shhhhhhh. winking smiley I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. LOL!! smiling bouncing smiley

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 28, 2018 02:54PM

I have some shops that can mix and match colors here locally. However if the paint on the car is more than a couple years old, it is near impossible to blend the new paint with the old. With your LM, this would be on the rear window pillar, as there is no seam in the body to break the new with the old.

It can be done, but being in the know when you have repainted, I'm quite sure you will see the transition.
So yes..... I agree, a total repaint is most likely in order. Bummer!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: November 28, 2018 03:06PM

That sucks, Ron! But hey you got many years enjoyment out of the first color! Maybe you can get away with the jambs being a little off??

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: November 28, 2018 03:11PM

Yeah Caroholicforlife
That 40 was nice...it was a 427 side oiler powered...it was big buck everything....but we usually took his 49 Ford sedan with 302, 3-twos until he got his 48 Ford P-U finished to car shows...it had a super built 427 side oiler with 2 4's and he ran a lot of aviation fuel in it, it was featured in Classic Truckin magazine and another 54 Black F100 he painted was in the same Mag...we were at the F100 Nationals in Tn...both the other cars we took were just as nice as this 40. The black 54-F100 and his 48 F-1 were both painted outside at his house under those tall pine trees where my vette was painted.

Speaking of having to re-paint...I painted my 49 Chevy Fleetline in my gravel driveway. I was about to finish up the 2nd coat and a bird wanted to buy my car and left me a deposit running down the side...I called Butch immediately and asked him what to do....he said and it killed me...STOP, and tomorrow sand the whole car down and re-paint the whole car...I did and of course moved the car under my car port to repaint. I have turned down 30K for it about 3 times from serious buyers...so it turned out really nice.

I will be painting my 64 conv under the carport this early spring before pollen is a bad problem.

I feel for Ronnie...but his car sure looks like its well worth the effort he will be making in re-painting the whole car once the dent is fixed...and after it is painted he will not even remember the old color. I had a friend who moved up to Maine who used to paint cars named Ronnie...huuummmm.

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: November 28, 2018 04:45PM

That is a bummer! I'm sorry to hear. I know one day I'll be in the same boat as I've tried several places several times to even come close to the color on my convertible with no luck.

What colors are you considering on going with next?

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa factory turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
66 Monza 95/PG coupe project FOR SALE
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 66 CJ5A, 03 neon, 4 Rokon Trailbreakers, 3 vintage Honda 50cc minibikes, 4 Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: November 28, 2018 05:44PM

Years ago before he passed away in 1999, my retired dad and a retired body man did some restoration work. A lady that worked in the office of the local VoTech bought her 72 Impala for some rust repair and partial paint. I had be repaired and repainted at the VoTech years prior and the rust was popping thru again.

They found a good front clip for it and fixed the lower quarter rust. Got the paint code from the body and had a batch of paint mixed . . . it wasn't even close. Seems the VoTech had screwed up mixing the paint. The owner didn't want to pay to paint the whole car so they took a panel down and got it scanned at the paint store. That was a lot better match. How good? She won an award at the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America's National meet.

A paint store with a different brand of color match scanner may come closer. How are you testing the match? Are you using a spray out card?

Sorry about the fender crunch on such a nice Corvair. Good Luck. Usually in almost every area there is a painter that is known for his ability to match paint.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: November 28, 2018 06:08PM

First, sorry for your luck. It always sucks to see your car damaged especially one you are personally invested in. After spending my entire life in the body repair industry I have some strong feelings about your concerns.

You need to find a competent shop to make that repair. You don’t need your whole car painted. As others have pointed out, when repainting, colors never exactly match. You could take ten different cars painted the same color from the factory and change the panels around, none of them would match. For that reason the standard repair is to “blend” the color into the adjacent panels and then clear coat the entire panel. At most you would need the deck lid, quarter, and door painted. Clear can be blended on the sail panel by a talented painter. If you don’t go hog wild with the body repair it could probably be blended within the quarter panel.

The color was made, it can be remade to a “ blendable match”. That is the industry standard. Your paint store is either lazy or incompetent or maybe both.

I do it all day, every day. New cars, old cars. It doesn’t matter. If I was wrong then every repair would be a complete repaint. Color matching is part of every job. I match colors using lots of tools. A camera, variant chips, and sprayed out samples. Almost never does a paint code give you an exact panel match.

Not even close she enough for the jambs? You have to be kidding me. We often paint jambs with bench mixed scraps.

Unless you just want a color change. If that’s the case then go for it!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 28, 2018 06:20PM

GUYS!! Ron is an Auto Painter by trade!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.