Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Repairing an LM heater box? tongue sticking out smiley
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 27, 2018 04:22PM

I have replaced the heater hoses and cleaned up the blower in my '67 Monza and now I have hot air ALL the time!

Considering the current weather, this is good. The only problem is that I cannot turn off the hot air! Not so good in the summer.

I think something to do this winter is to take the 'heater box' out and give it a good going over.

My question is, has any one done this and do they have a video of how to do it?

Dave? eye rolling smiley

Thanks for any assistance!

Dale winking smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repairing an LM heater box? tongue sticking out smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 27, 2018 04:30PM

'67 Supplement... Chapter 15 Fig. 1 pretty straight forward..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 27, 2018 04:41PM

I took the one apart on my '65 Coupe recently. Here are some photo's
These are before I go to far. I took a whole bunch more to keep a record on how it went back together.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: November 27, 2018 04:43PM

This is what the case looked like when apart.
Notice the large round flap in the center, it is missing a chunk where the mice chewed on it. I got a replacement at the Corvair Ranch.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: November 27, 2018 04:44PM

Dale, Of course its never as easy as the manual makes it sound, but generally you remove the blower, unhook everything, remove the mounting nuts then drop it down past the passenger side of the trans. I don't recall ever needing to remove one. Do your "heat" lever, cable, and door all move?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: November 27, 2018 04:52PM

I picked up a couple extra clamps from the Corvair Ranch as needed and got the reproduction hose hangers Clark's offers. I might have extra's but won't know until I put it back in the car this spring.
I used Dupli-Color Cast Aluminum Ceramic Engine Paint for the Silver, and Rustoleum Satin Black along with a Cast Iron for some brackets.
You will notice after I cleaned everything, I even put a light coat of paint on the inside of the box to help seal out any mouse smells that might remain.
While I was at it, I installed a new High Volume Blower Motor and a reproduction Squirrel Cage as the mouse urine wasted the original cage.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: November 27, 2018 04:57PM

Here is the cage I replaced along with what the new cage looked like on the high volume motor. I used the set screw on the shaft but also wanted to secure it with the nut too. I found a flat washer and an old cup washer to make a spacer out of and installed them with the nut to hold everything in place. I hope it works.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 27, 2018 05:01PM

Thanks for the pictures!

Dan, I put in a new heater cable and the doors seem to move. Looking 'inside' I don't think there is anything attached to the doors. I think there should be some material attached to control the air!?

When I got the Corvair all the heater hoses were gone so I suspect some critter ate anything that was there!

This will be my first time to do this which is why I am asking for any help!

Thanks!

Dalewinking smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: November 27, 2018 05:14PM

There are only two moving parts inside the box, bot flaps to control where the heat goes or not depending on how they are positioned.
Both are metal but covered with a rubber gasket that extends beyond the edges to form a seal. I didn't notice they were rubber covered until I started cleaning them. These to the best of my knowledge are not available as reproduction or service parts.
I did not disassemble the small flap far enough to take it out of the housing as I didn't want to risk damaging it or the plastic bushings so I worked around it.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 27, 2018 05:30PM

Dale - Great pictures and advice posted. NOTE there is an adjustment in the linkage between the small and large flappers. Don't loose the nylon bushings on the flapper shafts.

I've rebuilt a couple heater boxes and its much easier to remove the heater box with the drivetrain out of the car.

When you re-install the unit run an adequate ground wire from the blower motor flange to a good chassis ground. There are many connections between the blower motor and the final bracket to the body the result in a mediocre ground path. The extra ground wire fixes the ground issue.

Date: November 27, 2018 06:04PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you re-install the unit run an adequate
> ground wire from the blower motor flange to a good
> chassis ground. There are many connections between
> the blower motor and the final bracket to the body
> the result in a mediocre ground path. The extra
> ground wire fixes the ground issue.

I'll try to remember to add a ground strap, maybe even grind off some fresh paint to get a good connection (ground) then re-spray over it for protection.

My suspension and drivetrain are still out of the car, the heater box is still awaiting to be put back in and I think I will have enough room to find a good spot for an acceptable ground strap.grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: December 03, 2018 06:24PM

I am redoing a heater box myself. What is used to fix the 2 doors in the box as the rubber has been ripped or torn away to where it doesn't seal anymore. Anyone have any instructions on how they did it. A search turned up nothing. and nothing in the FAQs.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: December 03, 2018 06:51PM

Al same as Vent door seals... try that

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 03, 2018 06:57PM

Thought of that, but vent door seals are foam type. The ones I got from Clarks are anyways. Foam wouldn't hold up in the heater box. I have some rubber I used in other places, maybe I can make it work. I'll get the doors out and make templates from them. Have to flip doors over to get complete circle or oval, but not a big deal there. Still enough on the doors to work with.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Date: December 03, 2018 07:27PM

Procedure should be the same? drill rivets / welds... then pop rivet back together?

Date: December 03, 2018 07:45PM

I will post close up photos of the 2 doors tomorrow. The small heat door you are probably correct. The large door I did not get a good look at it yet. Just know there is a 30 degree arc of the seal that is gone. Caraholic4life's photo of the large door does not reveal its construction, but it looks more like a bonded rubber seal on that door.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: December 04, 2018 08:55AM

Check out the FireBrier repair pages, I know he did some heater rebuild. Heater

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: December 04, 2018 02:13PM

The heater door flaps in the heater box actually have what could be best described as a rubberized "sock" or coating over the metal flapper disc, which extends beyond the edges of the flapper disc by about 3/4".
Since my large flapper disc was missing a chunk, I thought about taking a bicycle inner tube, some rubber cement, and a pair of scissors to fabricate and adhere a repair strip onto the rubber surface over the flapper disc.
Fortunately for me, I checked with the handy nearby (to me) Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg PA before doing anything. Jeff had a good used part on hand that was perfect for my needs. so I did not need to attempt any repair or rebuilding of the flap discs.

Attached are photo's of the large flapper disc from my heater box that I cleaned up before getting a replacement part. I was able to take these photo's a few minutes ago because I have not yet discarded anything from the project.
These images have been reduced to 25% and 30% of the original size to better fit here. If someone would like the full size photo's, PM me with a request and e-mail address to get them.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: December 04, 2018 02:42PM

These are the blend doors off the heater box for the car. The box is corroded severely, so I am going to a backup heater box. The blend doors in the back up are no better in regards to the rubber, but at least no rust on them. I will be taking the best of 3 heater boxes to make the one needed for the car.

I have ordered sheet foam to make the housing and blower fan gaskets, since there is no supply source for them. The heater is a high airflow blower, the wire to it must be replaced as the boot is so deformed it will not go onto the terminal fully. Fan on the blower will be replaced as it has an excessive amount of gloss black paint applied to it. Replacement will be bead blasted, Rust Fix applied, light coat of primer, then a light coat of satin wheel paint will be applied. That should keep the moisture from getting to the metal.

The rubber that is bonded to the doors will be fixed by adding some similar rubber to the door. It will be riveted using aluminum washers. We might just make a complete rubber to replace the existing rubber seal due to the rubber age. Rubber will be sandwiched between the door and a thin aluminum sheet cut to conform to the door. It may have to be a 2 piece plate to clear hinge on the heat blend door.

The aluminum housing will be bead blasted and coated with a a matte clear coat.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Attachments:

Date: December 04, 2018 06:35PM

Here are the photos of the blender doors out of my 2 spare units I saved out of the LMs i scrapped. I was able to get a good set of blender doors out of 3 heater boxes. The box from the car will only be providing the high volume fan. The rest will be cleaned and maybe saved.

Dale: A few tips.

Use heat on every screw going into aluminum before using socket and ratchet. I learned on first box. Broke 2 screws. Apply heat to the head for 10 to 20 seconds to the head only.

Heat blender door can be removed. Brace housing next to shaft bushing. Use drift pin to gently tap shaft out of door. It is a square shaft, so it won't turn in the door. Use lubricant if rust is present.

Get some foam sheets to make gaskets for van housing to box and blower fan to housing. PM if you want my source.

Bead blast aluminum housing and coat with Matte Clear Coat or paint your favorite color. The housings will corrode if they haven't already.

There is a sheet metal bracket on the top of box. On all three of mine, this bracket was rusted and broken. Expect to make a replacement.

Keep amount of paint on blower fan to minimum. More paint, more weight, more power consumption, less speed, less flow, less efficient. Fans are balanced unpainted.

Check wiring boot. Mine was crumpled and not sealing. I am replacing wire back to the relay installed by a previous owner.

I hope this helps.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.