Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 19 of 19
Re: New home for Revived Mouse House 110 Engine
Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: October 03, 2020 05:18PM

Nice job, especially on the cup holders! It has come a long way since last week.

Fred Gillam, southern SC coast
Former Corvairs from teens and 20's.
3 65 Corsa 180 convertibles
63 Spyder
66 Monza 110 PG, "Moldo"
65 Corsa 140
Currently helping son with 65 Monza 140 4-spd coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 03, 2020 06:08PM

It'll look right at home in the car!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 03, 2020 08:22PM

NOICE! thumbs up cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 04, 2020 05:01PM

More wiring today.

Wired the console cup holders into the power outlet circuit. It will be ignition controlled.

Connected the 3 position fuel pump switch wiring to ignition switch controlled fuse at fuse box.

Installed the brake warning light wires from MC switch block to new light at bracket and to fuse box.

Circuits ohm checked and ready for power.

Reset engine compartment circuit breaker. Checked switches and lights and nothing is working with switch off. does not work like it should. Turn ignition switch on. Parking brake handle light on and goes off when handle moved to off.

Brake warning light is on. I will have to crack a brake line at master cylinder while pedal depressed to reset the switch. Right now the wire to MC is disconnected from light.

Selected Fuel pump to momentary position and pump operated. Released it and moved to locked on position. Pump worked as expected.

Check new fuse in fuse box and had power on output side. Turned ignition switch off and power still there. I will be using a ignition switch controlled relay to use the power from this fuse. Fuel pump will remain on original fuse.
New radio, console power outlets and brake warn/park brake handle lights will be on this relay controlled circuit. Loss of the relay will not hinder continued engine operation.

Cleaned, primed and painted floorboards. A previous PO's paint job left a bit to be desired for the paints longevity.

Tested new radio to ensure it was functional before console and radio were permanently installed.

Donna cleaned and wire brushed front seat exposed frame sections and all seat tracks. I applied Rust Fix to the tracks. I will apply Rust Fix to frames tomorrow. Probably will also paint all seat metal satin black before installation this week.

3 more days to get this interior installed and console wiring to car circuitry completed. Monday is carpet install day and Tuesday is seat install day.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 05, 2020 05:14PM

We routed rear speaker wire forward and installed a replacement rear carpet.

Rear air vent, front seat belts, "B" pillar covers and rear door sill plates are installed.

Replacement toe panel with new panel seals installed.

Front speaker wire routed and front carpet installed. Console lower section positioned and secured at aft mount point. Speaker wires routed into console and ty-rapped into radio section of console.

Front seat mount points located and holes made in new rear carpet. Tracks were painted satin black.

Left vent assembly had new dum dum applied and has been positioned in its location. Left front door sill plate loosely installed. Rear seat back is in car awaiting bolts to be installed.

Front seat frames were wire brushed, Rust Fix applied and painted satin black

I decided I would use the power connector from the GM AM radio to power the new radio. No sense leaving power going to a hissing AM radio, when it is turned on. If I could figure a way to power only the dial light, that would be a cool look at night.

Tomorrow is console installation and wiring. Also, the vent assemblies and the remaining sill plates installation. Hopefully I might get front seats in, but I like the room without them to work on under dash wiring.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 06, 2020 05:09PM

A bit more done.

Donna installed the vent assemblies and the rear seat back. She got the front door sill plates installed.

I installed the tracks on the seats and did a seat swap. Drivers seat is now the passenger seat due to weak seat bottom. We improved the seat bottoms by inserting some foam mat between seat burlap and springs. Definitely gave us raised seat height on both seats. While swapping the seat trim, The inside trim became chrome on both seats.

We installed the left front seat. Then I mounted the console lower section to the car, making sure the console cleared the drivers seat in its tracking.

Radio wiring from radio to console disconnect was done. Speaker wires were connected the the radio speaker plug.

We installed the console top section. The cup holder panel was installed and cup holder light wires hooked up to power outlets terminals. Power outlets wires were hooked and panel secured to console.

Tomorrow will be a vacuum of the rear seat area and installing rear seat. Wiring for console to car circuits will also be done. I am hoping the instrument wiring can also be completed, but radio is the priority. Tomorrow is last day to work the car, until after the Maggie Valley trip.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Date: October 07, 2020 06:50PM

We got the back seat bottom in.

We got back on the wiring. Pulled a back muscle when putting back seat in. It was a miserable day doing the under dash wiring with the driver's seat installed.

We got the radio, power outlets, instruments power wired to the fuse box.

Grounds needed for radio outlets and instruments installed.

Wired the radio keep alive circuit to a fuse box fused batt + terminal. Instruments had a diagram to put red power wires to the batt + terminal. I didn't think these 3 electronic instruments (Oil Pressure, Vacuum and Voltage) needed to be powered with engine off.

Determined the existing antenna does not have enough cable to reach the new radio's new location. I have a new fixed length GM antenna that I hooked up. It will temporarily reside outboard of the front passenger seat at "B" pillar location. Good reception with it there. I will order a 4 foot extension cable.

Pulled heater controls to wire instruments lighting and radio light input. The socket decided to snap off the contact when the controller was pulled. Made it much easier to tie in the new circuits with a splice and a replacement socket.

Only circuit not incorporated due to darkness falling on us is the aft console courtesy light. Wires are run to nearest point to tie into the existing under dash courtesy lights. I have to repair the driver's side a the socket will not lock the bulb tightly to keep it lit. Another issue with them is the LED bulbs only have 4 to 6 segments lit. Better than the license plate lit which only had one segment lit. Chinese #57 LED bulbs, cheap and only lasted 19 months. Got license plate working with all segments and passenger side courtesy light lit with 6 of 9 segments.

Right seat has been installed.

Circuit breaker was reset for power on test. All systems (added instruments, fuel pump switch and park brake handle light) worked fine, except radio. Seemed the ground wire pulled out of its terminal. Replaced entire connector and retested. Radio works fine. Installed front panel and the radio securely into console.

Set up our IPOD with a Bluetooth adapter and paired it with the radio. Started car and volume control was adequate to hear with engine at 3000 rpm. Next will to set up our phones to the radio for Spotify and Sirius XM.

Car is ready for Maggie Valley. I will resolve the small issues following our trip.

Oh, Donna reset the Hawaiian Hula lady onto the rear package shelf. She was on the cardboard for past 19 moths with double-stick tape. Now she is there with the hook portion of Velcro system stuck the carpet on package shelf upper section.

We will post photos later on the changes, but it feels good to have all this done.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 07, 2020 06:56PM

Most of this with a sore back? You da Man!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 07, 2020 07:45PM

Yes. 3 pain pills and a muscle relaxer pill today. Just to get through the day. It had to be done, so Vair could go the Maggie Valley.

I just added Sirius XM to Donna's Phone. I took her out to the Vair and showed her how to Bluetooth in the IPOD and her phone to listen to music. No way would I left her to searching for radio stations all the way up there. 6 hours and 350 miles is a lot of eyes off road to find a radio station to listen to.

Our iPod has almost 12k songs to entertain her. Spotify & Sirius XM also can keep music going for her on the drive.

Still need to put in the front speakers, but that is next week.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 09, 2020 05:00AM

A couple of night photos of the console. Radio is not as bright as it seems.it is picking up the LED white pixels of the screen. Lots of black and red on radio freq select screen to dim it down.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 09, 2020 11:05AM

Pretty cool, Al. thumbs up cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 09, 2020 05:38PM

Thanks, Mel.

I need to swap back the inside tracks. Just noticed that right seat is cock in the car. Seems the left track has only one rear mount hole. When moved to the right seat. It skewed the seat. Minor change to return it to its original location of driver inside track.

Attach is a daylight shot of the installed console.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Date: October 15, 2020 07:34PM

Pulled the radio from the console today. A replacement was requested last Monday as the touch screen did not respond to our touch.

Tested the replacement radio with cabling in car and ensured it worked in all functions. Added mount brackets to radio panel installation. Removed antenna I had placed in the rear seat since car's antenna cable was too short. Installed a 4' cable extension and connected to radio. Installed radio in console.

Cleaned and primed a replacement inboard seat track.

Install a custom length coil wire that I received from Seth Emerson. I had sent him ones I already had. He changed out boots to 90 degree boots and made the length to a dimension to work properly with the coil to distributor distance my cars have. Looks much better than one with straight boots or one that was 4 inches longer with 90 degree boots.

Al
Georgia

Current Page: 19 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.