Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT, Dead battery mystery.
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 07, 2018 05:03PM

My 85 K5 project is coming along nicely, keep picking at it when I have time. Been driving it short trips for 6-8 weeks now, hasn't skipped a beat except a couple of electrical gremlins. It has an aftermarket radio, nothing special, Pioneer something, anyway after a 10 year layup the radio didn't work, found blown power fuse, looked for chafed wire, looks fine, replaced fuse and back in business. Turned the tunes up kind of loud on a cruise and boom no more radio, I had installed a 2 amp so installed a 5 amp this time, good to go until tonight. More clues, installed a couple new interior dome lights, spliced into factory wire that runs under the new carpet which worked excellent until I installed the door threshold strip, yep pierced that factory wire with a screw, dead center, blew a fuse. I didn't look into that problem right away, just figured I had poked the wire and popped a fuse, I'm not usually lucky. Went out a couple days later and the battery is completely dead, nothing, I charged it up and left the circuit breaker open to keep it from killing it again. Tonight I repaired the pierced wire and replaced the fuse, lights back in business, looked into battery drain, nothing, with a normal parked situation there is 6.5 milliamp drain on the battery, 0.0065 amps, it does have a hot lead going to the radio with constant power for the clock and tuner settings. Also found the radio not working again, assume blown fuse but haven't looked. With the power wire being switched to the radio that shouldn't be able to drain the battery, same with the pierced wire, it blew the fuse so shouldn't be able to drain it there. I left it parked will see what happens this time. Don't think I had left the lights on, it has a buzzer for that, maybe left key on but the electric pump makes enough noise I should have heard that. My next direction is to look into the radio power as being the possible problem although it may never happen again, hard to fix what isn't broken.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT, Dead battery mystery.
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 07, 2018 05:14PM

If it isn't the radio check the alternator for bad diodes.

Date: November 07, 2018 05:38PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it isn't the radio check the alternator for bad
> diodes.

Good call but if a diode had shorted there should still be a drain, wouldn't go away, there was no drain tonight. I did discover my alternator belt need tightening, I was driving after dark with the lights on, I could hear the belt slipping, switched off the lights and it cleared.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 07, 2018 06:04PM

Don, Hope you have the battery on a minimum 6 amp charger for the next 36 hrs!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 07, 2018 07:52PM

That would most likely be correct Don. I guess it's possible that a shorted diode could burn out and open but I highly doubt it. Put your oscilloscope on the output and see if it's smooth.

Date: November 08, 2018 08:58AM

Don't have an oscope, had one about 20 years ago. I did charge it at about 20 amps for a while then gave it a trickle for 24 hours, hooked it back to normal so I could see if it decides to do it again, will look at it more Saturday. I'll check the output voltage of the alternator then, if it dropped a diode I expect the voltage will be low.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: November 10, 2018 03:56AM

Drove the truck yesterday, it sat 48 hours without killing the battery, still haven't looked into radio problem. It sure is a neat truck to drive, the short wheelbase is fun.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.