Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Speedo drive vs Static suppressor
Posted by: 65Ragtop ()
Date: November 07, 2018 04:56PM

Both loose! Found out why my speedometer quit working. While tearing down the front end for a rebuild I noticed that the static suppressor/ground had partially come apart and wrapped itself around the king nut\cotter key. Ripped the drive right out of the dust cover. Wonder how many speedo drives have met this fate? I won't be putting a new suppressor in after the re-build.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 05:05PM by 65Ragtop.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speedo drive vs Static suppressor
Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: November 08, 2018 12:01PM

Back when I had my four door 500 that I drove through high school, that was a common occurrence. My 500 showed a lot less miles than it really had! eye popping smiley

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 08, 2018 12:10PM

The best part of my "Custom Display System" by Dakota Digital was the use of the GPS Speed/Direction box! smileys with beer

I was able to permanently remove my 'left front wheel speedometer cable' (it was busted in three places anyway) and never have to worry about it again!!! drinking smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 08, 2018 12:37PM

You might want to remove and lubricate the speedometer drive cable, Damage like that makes me think the speedo drive cable is tight or seized. Could even be the speedometer itself that's tight or seizing.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: JohnVan ()
Date: November 08, 2018 03:32PM

I was surprised when I first encountered the Static suppressor. I had never seen one before. Was there a lot of static built up in the front hubs? I'm assuming this was only a problem with the AM radio.

John Van Valkenburgh
Knightdale NC
'65 Corsa 140

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 08, 2018 05:00PM

I never thought about it, probably AM radio suppression. However (Midwest farm type )early windmills had problems with premature bearing failures. They soon found it was caused by static electricity developing in the blades are arcing through the bearings to ground. This started small pits which eventually destroyed them.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 08, 2018 06:32PM

My 69 Monza Coupe with radio delete does not have this static suppressor nor does it have the 3 small ground cables in the
engine compartment. I am guessing it also does not have any capacitors (condensers) on the coil or at the voltage regulator.

Posted by: JohnVan ()
Date: November 08, 2018 06:59PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 69 Monza Coupe with radio delete does not have
> this static suppressor nor does it have the 3
> small ground cables in the
> engine compartment. I am guessing it also does not
> have any capacitors (condensers) on the coil or at
> the voltage regulator.

I was guessing it was for radio noise suppression. I've just never seen them before. My '72 Vega was an AM only radio, but didn't have suppressors in the wheels.

The comment from jjohnsonjo about the early windmills having bearing issues due to static buildup was pretty interesting. I'm sure those windmill blades developed an enormous charge. For us Ham radio operators, we can tell you that a passing thunderstorm with significant winds will cause a lot of static to be developed on antenna. I've see it arc through coax cables across to metal conduit.

I would think in the wheels however that the grease would allow enough of a discharge to the car's frame to prevent buildup of static. Still, GM isn't known for adding things to cars just for grins, even if it's only a few pennies.

John

John Van Valkenburgh
Knightdale NC
'65 Corsa 140

Date: November 08, 2018 07:35PM

Larry: Yeah, that might explain why I rarely see them on most of the cars I've worked on. Removed or just not replaced over time once rendered useless. I guess it's actually a maintenance item, doesn't seem that durable in a somewhat harsh environment.

Dale: The GPS/Directional box is a great idea and interests me. I may very well look into it further when I get to that part of my project. We'll see.

Craig: I initially thought speedo cable as well and went ahead and got a new one before I even looked at it as the car is an original with few new parts. Upon inspection, the old cable was in very good condition, very smooth operation and I used a low speed drill to check the speedo operation. All good. I'll be installing the new cable for now and have a spare if I need one at a later date.

John: Yes, generally speaking it was for radio static suppression. Static electricity is produced by the tires rolling over the roadway; particularly during dry, low humidity weather (like the desert where I live). As mentioned above the springs are often missing on old cars. In theory it is actually a "collector" spring made of a highly conductive material (copper or copper alloy). If a static charge builds up to the point of discharge it is supposed to attract the discharge and direct it to ground. It works in theory, but seems a bit fragile for a daily driver. That's one explanation anyway.

J.O.: I have heard of the windmill bearing issue. That's a great visual. I really enjoy being reminded of stories like that!

Timothy: Interesting that a radio delete car would not have them. Seems that might reduce the probability that the collector springs were also for reducing static shock elsewhere on the car.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Posted by: WCcorsa ()
Date: November 08, 2018 10:02PM

Dealer installed Chevrolet AM radio kits have the engine ground straps and grease cup static suppressors supplied in the bags of installation hardware.

Date: November 09, 2018 01:15AM

As noted above!

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Attachments:
Date: November 09, 2018 01:37AM

This is what they looked like before they got trashed. Generic 60's GM. Corvair speedo drive side is somewhat unique I think.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 01:39AM by 65Ragtop.

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 09, 2018 08:20AM

I count 2 suppressors in that kit. I never noticed that part on the right front wheel dust cap, only the left (on my LMs with radios). Interesting.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 09, 2018 06:11PM

I wonder how many of those just got thrown away when a dealer optioned radio was installed?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 10, 2018 11:25AM

I have (had) the suppressors on both front hubs. The right passenger side as seen above is a standard issue used on many GM cars of the era and are still available. Clarks has them in the supplement under "discontinued when gone" SUP-43 @ $7.80. The speedo drive side seems to be a unique item as it has a hole for the drive cable etc. Can't find one anywhere, even Clark's is out. I was looking for a picture of one just for the record and if anyone has one, please post. I don't need or want one but......for someone who is building a 100 point restoration that won't get driven much, it might be a nice thing to have. Seems to be approaching "unobtainium" status. If I had one on the drive side in good condition I would remove it on a car that gets driven a lot and save it for a restoration guy.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Date: November 10, 2018 11:31AM

Test.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 10, 2018 12:37PM

Mike I have 3 or four of each I got off the LMs I scrapped. I'll post photos later today or tomorrow.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 11, 2018 09:21AM

Here is a photo showing 2 of the left side suppressors with a left cap and a right suppressor.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Date: November 11, 2018 09:39AM

Perfect! Thanks for the pictures. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.