Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fuel Pump Upgrade
Posted by: bnoggle ()
Date: November 05, 2018 01:19PM

I have previously replaced my mechanical fuel pump with a good electric pump. Initially, I mounted the electric fuel pump in the engine bay, and the rampside ran perfectly fine. I just cut the line going from the tank into the mechanical fuel pump and installed the electric one there. The line then runs into the nonworking mechanical pump and out to the carburetors. I decided to move the electric pump to the frame rail directly behind the gas tank because I didn't like having rubber hoses running through the engine bay. Other than moving the pump and installing new lines I made no changes to how the lines were laid out. Now I get fuel to the gas tank side of the mechanical pump, but not to the carburetors. Why is it doing this? Also, what do others use to take the mechanical pump out of the equation?

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Upgrade
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 05, 2018 01:34PM

[corvair.com]

You can throw money at the problem and use Clarks bypass.

The fuel should flow right through the mech pump unless you reversed the lines or you have a stuck valve.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 05, 2018 01:35PM

Question.

Do you want the look of the original pump or you can accept a plug in the adapter where the mechanical pump should be. You need to decide? Members here will give you both ways to do it and their preference also. But you need to make an informed decision to make it work.

Here is mine on the 110 I am working. Lines are forward of carbs and a plug in the oil filler/filter adapter.

Oh yes the left carb line is now the right carb line and right carb line is the left. the fitting off the pump is used to join them then an adapter reducer fitting is needed to tie in a newly made 5/8 main fuel line to the fitting and out to the rubber hose.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 01:37PM by Lane66m.

Attachments:

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: November 05, 2018 02:07PM

With the fuel pump gone, the bolts to adjust the belt pulley tension are SO much easier to get at.

Posted by: bnoggle ()
Date: November 05, 2018 02:31PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I like the idea of switching the carb lines and running a new one down to the rubber hose. Is there any problem with me doing that and leaving the mechanical fuel pump in place? I believe that the valve inside it must be stuck, and I don't feel like messing with it. Looks are not an issue, as long as it runs I will be happy.

Carlisle Pennsylvania
--
1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Date: November 05, 2018 03:51PM

You can do that but I suggest getting the plug and clean up the area. Makes it easier for other maintenance. You can get a plug from a vendor or a forum member. I have for sale still.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: November 05, 2018 04:55PM

Here is a 140 engine in an early coupe I cleaned up, installed an electric pump and used the bypass plate in a stock fuel pump. No rubber in engine comp.

Attachments:

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: November 05, 2018 06:29PM

I would not leave a mechanical pump pumping thru and original complete fuel pump. If the electric pump is the primary fuel source at very least remove the stock fuel pump actuating rod from underneath the stock pump. The stock pump really should be bypassed, if it is not the diaphragm inside it could rupture and allow the electric pump to fill the crankcase with fuel. I like the bypass plate that solo2r shows just above. It replaces the center section of the stock pump and leaves all lines stock in the engine bay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: JohnVan ()
Date: November 05, 2018 10:00PM

I'm changing my Corsa over to an electric pump. In my case I decided to mount it in the engine bay. Easier access to the pump/filter and perhaps less noise and better weather protection. I actually like the looks of the mechanical pump and toyed with the idea of buying the bypass plate, but I went with the plug instead. I want the space to install an oil pressure gauge. I'm aslo adding a clear gas filter before the pump for now. The tank and rubber lines are all new but the solid fuel line isn't and was a little gunky. I cleaned it but will run extra filtration for a few months. The filter that came with the pump is all metal and I can't tell if its dirty.

John Van Valkenburgh
Knightdale NC
'65 Corsa 140

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: November 05, 2018 10:03PM

Most electric fuel pumps are designed to be near the tank as they push better than they pull.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 05, 2018 10:21PM

Avoid rubber fuel lines and plastic fuel filters in the engine compartment. Good way to have a fire due to rubber and plastic becoming brittle and breaking when least expected. Then you have a nice barbeque fire in the compartment.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 05, 2018 10:45PM

This is the only plactic tube you want in your engine compartment!

BlazeCUT!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.