Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Amazing how new tires makes a car ride/drive differently!
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: November 05, 2018 06:05AM

MattNall Wrote:
--
>
> Are you sure those Michlens weren't your FIRST
> RADIAL tire?
>
> Radial were noted for twice the miles and cushy
> ride...
>
> I first experienced radials in Deutchland /1966.
> First time I bought new tires I bought Firestone
> FR70-15's for my Vette... sure were better than
> the 670x15 Bias plies... also had 2" more rubber
> touching the road!

FWIW: The first set of radial tires I experienced (with some illegal underage) driving on was a set of B. F. Goodrich "Lifesaver" radial tires, around 1970 (?), that my Father had installed on my Mother's smooth riding but "squealing like a stuck pig" when pushed hard '66 Ford Country Sedan station wagon. Even at my young age, with limited driving experience, I was blown away at the difference in tires.

The difference in 2 lane road corner taking, rainy weather traction and quicker stopping seemed to violate the laws of physics and gravity!

Before these tires, my Father would frown and mumble to himself as he maneuvered Mom's station wagon on our pre-Interstate extended road trips, the old B. F. Goodrich "Silvertown" rayon tires squealing and protesting.

After the radial tires, he would slightly smile as he smoothly powered the wagon out of tight corners. (Gotta love rear wheel drive and lots of All-American V8 torque/power!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 05, 2018 07:04AM

A picture of the above referenced "Grocery Getter".

Not a Corvair, true, but no Corvair could comfortably hold 6 full sized Americans and all the luggage my Mother packed for our extended road trips, cruising comfortably at 75 to 85 mph (the legal speed limit in Oklahoma and Kansas at the time)!

Attachments:
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 05, 2018 07:58AM

Matt,

My wife's '67 Cutlass had come with the 'new' Firestone radial tires. They did not last, would not seal on the rims, and just didn't 'feel right' at highway speeds.

She and her father had been fighting with the Olds dealer while I was in the Army. I spent a year after my discharge fighting them, then tried the Goodyears that my father said were 'so good' on his Olds. They lasted longer but neither of us liked the handling.

I was taking Road & Track back then and kept reading about Michelin so I figured 'why not' try them. One set and I was blown away.

Knock on wood (Ouch, that hurt!) I have never had a bad tire since!

JMHO!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 05, 2018 08:16AM

A couple decades back I had a Chevy Silverado P.U. and when it came time for new tires all the folks I knew with P.U.'s said "Buy Michelin Tires". I should have listened.

I always liked Good Year tires and bought their premium truck tire. What a mistake!!! Expensive tire, rode hard, and lousy wet handling and braking. After a year, and approaching Winter driving again, I replaced the Good Years with Michelin tires and what an improvement. The Michelin was a better tire in every way. Rode well, wore great, and much better in wet conditions. - Live and learn.

Date: November 05, 2018 08:49AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple decades back I had a Chevy Silverado P.U.
> and when it came time for new tires all the folks
> I knew with P.U.'s said "Buy Michelin Tires". I
> should have listened.
>
> I always liked Good Year tires and bought their
> premium truck tire. What a mistake!!! Expensive
> tire, rode hard, and lousy wet handling and
> braking. After a year, and approaching Winter
> driving again, I replaced the Good Years with
> Michelin tires and what an improvement. The
> Michelin was a better tire in every way. Rode
> well, wore great, and much better in wet
> conditions. - Live and learn.

In 1974, I replaced the 6 ply, factory nylon truck tires on my '73 Ford/Mazda Courier pick up truck with Sears Roadhandlers (Michelin X) tires.

Better in every way possible!

The Michelin X radial tires, that replaced the Gawd-awful Goodyear Polysteel factory radial tires (in 1978) on my '77 Volare were also gems of longevity, smooth ride and sticky handling. (One of the Goodyears tires self destructed while on the computer spin balancer! No wonder it vibrated!)

BUT:

I recently experienced tread separation (coming loose in CHUNKS) on the Michelin tires on both of my Lincoln Town Cars. Luckily this happened at low speeds, with no body damage.

I have others complain of tread separation on recent, low mileage Michelin tires.

I suspect that Michelin has been "resting on their reputation" too much as of late.

sad smiley

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.