Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front clip (retainer) for FC clutch cable
Posted by: Kent Sullivan ()
Date: November 01, 2018 10:46PM

I discovered that there are at least two styles of the clip that retains the front end of a FC manual transmission clutch cable. The one on the cable in my truck didn't last that many clutch actuations before slipping. Fortunately, Dean Richardson helped me modify my clip to match the other style, which seems to work much better. The first photo shows the design of the clip I started with. You can see a dimple, the backside of which was designed to grab the cable casing.The second and third photos show two examples of the other design. Hopefully you can see that the smaller section of that clip style is designed to be crimped so that it prevents the end of the cable casing from moving forward. If I recall correctly, the NOS cable in my truck didn't have a clip and we transferred the one from the previous cable. Thanks also to Duane Wentlandt and Craig Nicol for researching this and providing the three photos. I'm interested in knowing which clip was first and for which model years.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front clip (retainer) for FC clutch cable
Date: May 13, 2019 10:24PM

Oops, something went wrong when I posted the photos. The clip that I started with is the third photo, not the first photo.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:31AM

Hi Kent,
What was the origin of the cable with the "slip-prone" clip - nonGM after-market, GM-NOS, etc. ?? In the order of the pictures shown, is the second picture the modified clip before being crimped?
Steve

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: May 14, 2019 06:54AM

Did you take the dimpled clip, and modify it with the half slot? I'm pretty sure my clip on my 61 is the dimpled style with no slot.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: May 14, 2019 08:58AM

Steve, the first and second pictures are of different clips, from different people, IIRC -- one from Craig, the other from Duane. The first and second pictures both show factory-crimped clips rather than a modified clip. I did not originally include a picture of my modified clip. I'll upload one as part of this reply. The slot we cut in mine is considerably narrower than the factory slot but it works. As far as I know, the "slip-prone" clip was a GM NOS part, at one point.

Larry, yes, I modified the dimpled clip to add the slot. New fourth picture attached here.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.