Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
More sign of the times sad news?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 31, 2018 06:06PM

By for the best autocrossing event I've attended sponsored by SECC in Florida. I just got this email.

Due to a lack of registrations, we did not have enough to pay the facility rental fee, we are cancelling the event.

Any thoughts as to how we could reverse this trend? I'll go to a Corvair event that has an autocross, there are 100 cars, 200 people but only 12 drivers for autocross. Why don't we participate?

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More sign of the times sad news?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:43PM

All I show up with right now is a 95 hp PG AC car, and I always sign up for the autocross. I have fun. Never win, no thoughts of ever wining.grinning smiley

I know other club members who will not sign up for the autocross if they do not have a chance of winning. What a shame.

It's the fun, not the trophy. But they say they only have fun if they can give it their all and win.confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 31, 2018 08:33PM

Drag out all your old trophies, and remove the award plate, and line them up. Put up a sign, that all participants get a trophy. Who knows, it might work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: November 01, 2018 04:11AM

What is the ratio between autocrossers who trailer their cars versus those who drive to the shows? This may have some bearing on the participation.

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

63 Greenbrier, PG, 110

64 Rampside, 110, 4 speed

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: November 01, 2018 04:12AM

Hell I didn’t even know about it to register. That may be part of the problem right there. I would love to have done that one and would’ve had I known. Looks like ramping up communication might be a start. It is weird though. Can’t figure out why so little are interested. I only go to events that have them, so I’m the other extreme.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Date: November 01, 2018 04:59AM

Raceway Park in Engishtown NJ closed the drag strip. Everything has gone to "drifting". Lame.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered - Rust in Progress

Posted by: CorvairGeek ()
Date: November 01, 2018 05:33AM

UnauthorizedServiceTech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raceway Park in Engishtown NJ closed the drag
> strip. Everything has gone to "drifting". Lame.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Date: November 01, 2018 05:50AM

Jerry and Noel make good points. I do trailer mine so that I can autocross without worry. Poor advertising could be part of the blame also, I don't remember seeing any advertising other than the email I received because I have participated in the past. It may have been in the Communique.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 01, 2018 09:27AM

Some good points made here about increasing attendance.

As much as I dislike Facebook a local club started using all the latest electronic platforms to advertise their show and attendance increased considerably. More importantly younger folks showed up, many not in a club!!

Autocross is a competition and many don't want to enter if they are going to post slow times. It important to promote the event as fun even if your car is slow.

Years ago a club was having trouble getting folks to join an econorun because "The same folks always win". A creative person came up with a trophy for WORST GAS MILEAGE. A lot of folks joined the econorun just for fun with modified and V8 cars that used a lot of fuel. It changed the whole attitude about the event and made it more fun like a cruise vs. a competition.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 01, 2018 10:23AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> All I show up with right now is a 95 hp PG AC car,
> and I always sign up for the autocross. I have
> fun. Never win, no thoughts of ever wining.grinning smiley
>
> I know other club members who will not sign up for
> the autocross if they do not have a chance of
> winning. What a shame.
>
> It's the fun, not the trophy. But they say they
> only have fun if they can give it their all and
> win.confused smiley

I have been in events "for fun" and greatly enjoyed them.
I have been in "Competitions" and and won some, and lost some. It does feel good to win, but it is NOT the same type of contented enjoyment as something done just for the camaraderie!
I am not speaking for ALL, but most people who only enter an event that they know they will win, usually have some kind of inferiority complex that they are trying to compensate for. In their eyes, losing is just a public confirmation of how they see themselves, no matter if that personal vision is not how others see them. Many of them do not even realize that this is what they are doing.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 01, 2018 02:54PM

66vairman Wrote:
>
> Autocross is a competition and many don't want to
> enter if they are going to post slow times.

Well they can always ask me if I'm going to be driving, if I'm not then they might stand a chance of winning.cool smiley

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 01, 2018 03:10PM

We've experience this on the west coast... Nearest "regular" to me is 180 miles

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: November 02, 2018 11:22AM

One of the problems with low turnout is location, we had a good location in St.Augustine and lost it !!! It is a training center and "they" got caught cheating on tests for fire fighters and the county shut down all outside events.
Second reason We use Lake county training center ( Not as good as St. Augustine )and can only get it for one day of a weekend, if we could have a two day event more would travel for it. We are in central Fl. and lost a lot of racers from north of us do to travel distance for a one day event !!!
Eddie Meadows has us booked for the 28th of April next spring we will see how that goes ???
Gene Barr
Eustis, Fl.

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: November 02, 2018 12:08PM

One more reason !!When at St Augustine Eddie would set up a normal autocross coarse for Saturday and would open it up for Sunday so the hi-horsepower people could use that horsepower, yes it is sad news, hard to find a place for such an event !!!
Gene

Date: November 02, 2018 06:18PM

Thanks for the heads up on next springs date, doubtful it'll work for me, planning a vacation for that timeframe and will be running tight on time. I have a little over a year left before my planned retirement that will hopefully open me up to more experiences.
I realize anything you do is a lot of work but I do have a suggestion that may pull in some more people/cars. Combine a car show with the driving event, possibly at the same time and location so the car show people are exposed to the driving and vice-versa. Might even breed some new drivers.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: November 03, 2018 05:00AM

Yes, St. Augustine training center was much better with a longer & more open track. ALL schools in Florida stopped all car events at their facilities due to liability issues. Lawyers who wait for any opportunity to sue brought this on. We used the Eastern Florida State College training site in a Palm Bay, Florida for SCCA autoX for years and that got shut down as well. So did the training site in a Geneva, Florida. It’s epidemic.

The SECC site in Central Florida was open to all cars. In the past a lot of Miata owners supported our Corvair event. Not anymore, the new site is too far to drive. I doubt more advertising would make much difference. Sad.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 03, 2018 06:10AM

Texas Motor Speedway's parking lot is available. I see events there several times a year.

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: November 03, 2018 09:46AM

Yes, I was sad to hear that the event was cancelled as well. I typically do the two events hosted by CFC and SECC each year. This fall we had 9 entries, and we needed 12 to pay for the track.

Getting the word out would have helped, but would likely not have brought any more Corvairs to the event. I know I could have brought out another half dozen non-Corvairs from work, but not knowing there was a threat of cancellation until too late made it impossible for me to get the word out in time.

I know better now, and will get the word out at work for the Spring event, and with a limit of 40 entries, I would recommend all of you Corvair folk get your registration in early, or risk not being able to attend.

I will ensure the registration information get distributed to this site before I put the word out at work.

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi - TT015
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: November 03, 2018 09:53AM

Texas won't help those in the southeast like Florida. It is difficult for those who don't trailer their cars to go any serious distance. I have an open car trailer so I'm able to go most anywhere within reason. Several years ago I trailered my Lotus up to New Jersey Motorsports Park for a three day race event. However, I don't think I'd do that again. We used to get some people from Georgia and surrounding areas to come down to Florida but when we had to switch to the Tavares site, it isn't exactly easy to get to it. It isn't off a major interstate or highway so not only do people have to drive quite a bit south but then they have to take back roads for a while. Not that attractive for a one day event.

The other issue I've always had with autoX is that you spend a lot of time NOT driving. In other words, you have 4 to 8 runs a day, each lasting 40 to 60 seconds each but you're there all day. I prefer road racing events. In timed trials SCCA, we would run 4 to 6 sessions with each lasting 25 to 30 minutes so your seat time would be 60 to 90 minutes per day. Big difference with autoX. However, the stress on the car is much greater and with relatively old cars, that may be too much. Even worse if it's the car you drove to the event in and need it to get back, a mechanical breakldown can be a big pain.

In my opinion, I think it would be best to have a track event with a longer track than your typical autoX but without the rigors of an open track environment. I think this would attract more people. Also, having it a bit more centrally located with ease of access. Easier said than done considering the limitations of todays available locations.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 03, 2018 10:25AM

Just my take. If I was going to autocross i'd have to build a purpose made car. The vehicles I take to shows I'd be afraid to mow down cones with because I ran out of talent.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.